The Purpose of this skills program is to provide learners with a basic understanding as well as application of: Knowledge and skills to plan, prepare and operate a hydroponic system.
The range of typical learners include persons interested in gaining a better understanding of basic agricultural practices and start their own farming enterprise.
Minimum of 12 / Maximum of 20
Form of Assessment
Portfolio of Evidence
Formative assessment: Evidence of performance will be collected continuously as Learners progress and will be considered in the final determination of the learners capabilities.
– Planning and Construction of a greenhouse for hydroponics.
– Identify various growing media.
– Demonstrate a basic understanding of different hydroponics production systems.
– Prepare a production area for crop establishment.
– Establish vegetable crops in a hydroponics production unit.
– Maintain vegetable crops in a hydroponic production unit.
– Maintain hygiene / food safety measures in a hydroponics production unit environment.
– Plants are manipulated as per instruction in the hydroponics production system.
– Identify and report basic problems in the production system.
– Apply crop fertilizers and nutrient solutions in a hydroponics production system.
– Prepare nutrient solutions to be used and apply herbicides.
– Operate and perform routine maintenance on equipment and tools.
– Perform quality checks.
– Compile a routine irrigation schedule in a hydroponics production system.
– Monitor insects in a hydroponics production unit.
– Control plant diseases according to different types of diseases.
– Control fungal diseases chemically.
– Maintain pesticide application equipment.
– Harvest different vegetable crops in a hydroponics unit.
– Market crops.