The Purpose of this skills program is to provide learners with a basic understanding as well as application of: Knowledge and skills to plan, prepare and produce vegetables.
The range of typical learners include persons interested in gaining a better understanding of basic agricultural practices and start their own vegetable garden.
15 Days / or 10 Days (Limited)
Minimum of 12 / Maximum of 20
Form of Assessment
Portfolio of Evidence
Formative assessment: Evidence of performance will be collected continuously as Learners progress and will be considered in the final determination of the learners capabilities.
– Planning, layout and preparation of a vegetable field.
– Collecting of soil samples, analysing and classifying the soil.
– Evaluation of natural resources available.
– Choice of cultivars.
– Cleaning and preparing the seedbed.
– Correct handling of seed, seedlings, cultivation and transplanting of seedlings.
– Irrigation of seedbeds, seedlings and vegetable plants.
– Fertilizing of vegetables.
– Windbreaks, mulching, heat protection and supporting of vegetables.
– Weed, pest and disease control (integrated control).
– Harvesting and cleaning vegetables for market.
– Grading, packing and marketing (selling) vegetables.